There is a huge amount of us out there that suffer from dry skin and if your like me, you’re wondering what are the best skin care products for dry skin available. There are hundreds of products available everywhere that target different skin issues for different skin types. Now, there are also products you can find that may worsen your condition or just not help at all. It all depends on the ingredients, skin type and overall use of the product or products.
There are many people online with dry skin that share a particular skin care regimen that they follow and that has worked well for them. But, does that mean it would work well for me too? Would it have the same effect or reaction? That’s where it gets tricky. As mentioned, it doesn’t only depend on the product.
Another thing I noticed is that some of us tend to follow the regimen step by step but don’t consider other factors that may affect or prevent said regimen to help or treat your skin. Do you know that the weather conditions can also dry up your skin? There are many factors that fall into place and it’s also important to avoid them as you go on your journey to get better skin. We should wonder that the best skin care products for dry skin are and what other outside changes we must make for the sake of our skin.
External causes of dry skin – Other factors to consider
Here are a few factors that may be causing your skin to be dry or it may be causing your skin to worsen or just simply not get better.
- Bathing habits – Long hot showers and baths can cause your skin to dry up by disrupting the natural balance of moisture on your skin. Try switching to cool or lukewarm showers to maintaining your skin’s moisture.
- Swimming – Constantly swimming in heavily chlorinated water can be another cause. Try applying lotion, oil or sunscreen before swimming.
- Harsh soaps – some soaps may strip your skin of your natural body oils. You can consider trying soaps with natural ingredients (without harsh chemicals). You can find some here.
- Weather – Colder weather may dry your skin due to the humidity levels being lower. Keep your body moisturized.
- Heat – heather and fireplaces also reduce humidity cause your skin to dry.
Dry skin is usually harmless but severe dry skin may cause for your skin to crack and become infected.
Other ways to avoid dry skin – Tips and tricks
There are a few changes you can make to your lifestyle or routine that may help you prevent dry skin.
Here are a few tips:
- Moisturizer – apply a good moisturizer during the day and after your shower.
- Short showers – keep your shower short, specially if you can’t avoid shower with hot water. Save your skin and save water!
- Wash with gentle or fragrance free products – harsh products may cause skin to dry or rashes
- Towels – use soft towels, specially for your face.
- Water – Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.
Following these tips may help you avoid getting dry skin.
What is the best moisturizer for dry skin?
This is a list of a few moisturizers that can work great for your dry skin. They have great reviews and I decided to name more than one. Remember, if it’s severe, it might be best to contact a dermatologist. Everyone is different and the situation may vary from dry to extremely dry.
- CeraVe Daily moisturizing lotion
- Developed by dermatologist, this lotion is enriched with a combination of essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid
- Ceramides helps seal the skin barrier to retain moisture
- Hyaluronic acid helps keep the skin extra hydrated
- It’s lightweight and oil free. It’s also fragrance free to avoid irritation
- Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion
- This formula helps heal and protect extremely dry skin. It also works well for those with sensitive skin.
- It’s fragrance and dye free
- Another dermatologist recommended product
- Also has ceramides to retain moisture and hydrate skin
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream
- This is a great hydrating cream for both face and body
- It has sweet almond oil which helps with skin- softening
- It has glycerin- a hydrating humectants
- Provides long-lasting hydration
RELATED: 6 BEAUTY PRODUCTS THAT REALLY WORK
What is the best moisturizer for you face?
Here is a list of some great products to keep your face hydrated and moisturized.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost water gel
- This lightweight product has hyaluronic acid which helps lock in moisture.
- Absorbs quickly and delivers intense hydration
- It’s oil and alcohol free
- Non-comedogenic which means that it won’t clog pores.
- Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream Face Moisturizer
- This moisturizer provides 48hr dynamic hydration
- Can withstand extreme conditions like weather and stress
- Helps reduce visibility of lines caused by dehydration
- Includes effective natural ingredients
- THE ORDINARY Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
- This product actually works well with all types of skin
- Hyaluronic acid included for hydration
- It also has Vitamin B5 which enhances surface hydration
- Alcohol and oil free. Vegan and gluten free
The best skin care products for dry skin
This was a small list of some of the best moisturizers for dry skin. The reason they include the hyaloronic acid is also because it can attract up to 1000 times its weight in water. Providing more hydration for your skin. It’s important to remember that the products can help out a great deal but if you don’t consider changing those habits that can dry up your skin then they may not give you the results that you expect or may just work for a small amount of time and not to its full potential.
Not bathing with hot water may be a hard one (it is for me) but for the sake of my skin, I have learned to change my way. Another change I have made has been to drink plenty of water. I got used to carrying a water bottle with me everywhere I can take one and it has changed my skin for the better.